Mumbai blasts film nears release
A film about the 1993 Mumbai bombings will be screened in India this
week almost two years after it hit legal trouble when it was released in
2005. Black Friday is based on a book of the same name and depicts
events around the time of the devastating blasts.

Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt arrives to appear before the Terrorist
and Disruptive Activities court in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, Feb. 6,
2007. Dutt is awaiting the decision in an 11-year trial on a series
of blasts that ripped through Mumbai, India's financial and
entertainment capital, on March 12, 1993, killing 257 people. -AP |
Its release was delayed because of concerns that it could prejudice
trials of those accused over the bombings. More than 250 people were
killed and 700 wounded in the blasts in India's financial capital on 12
March 1993.
The attacks were allegedly ordered by the Muslim-dominated underworld
in revenge for Hindu-Muslim riots. The 13-year trial finally ended last
September with the judge finding 100 of the 123 defendants guilty, while
those remaining were acquitted.
Sentences have still to be passed. 'Necessary' Director Anurag
Kashyap told BBC News that even though the movie was being released
after a two-year delay, it is still relevant today as it explores beyond
what happened.
"In the end, the film talks about Gandhi's message that an eye for an
eye makes the whole world blind so it tends to inculcate that message in
the audience," he said. He said making the film had been very important
for him. "It was necessary to talk about it, it was necessary to debate
the topic, it was necessary to have a discussion on the topic.
"If you try to make a film like this in a country like India, you are
bound to face problems. I didn't know how much - but once I had decided
that I had to make this film then I had to make it with honesty and
cross whatever hurdle came my way."
The film uses real names and places to describe the events that took
place around the blasts. It shows, in great detail, the conspiracy
behind the blasts and the investigation that followed soon after.
Mr. Kashyap said three fictional scenes had been added in the film,
but everything else was real. He said he had even met the accused and
the policemen investigating the case at the time to get a sense of the
kind of people they were.
"I interviewed almost all the officers who were in charge of the case
and I attended the special anti-terrorism court where I spoke to the
accused. They didn't know who I was and I didn't tell them, I just
interacted with them to get a feeling of the kind of people they were."
'Dutt - peripheral' He also said this helped him cast actors in the film
who resembled the real players.
The movie, however, makes no mention of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt,
who was also one of the accused in the case. He was acquitted of
involvement in terrorist activities but convicted of possessing an
illegal weapon.
Mr. Kashyap said this was done on purpose because any mention of the
actor in the film would have distracted from the main issues. He said:
"When he was named one of the accused in the case, Sanjay Dutt became
the be-all-and-end-all of the case.
No one was focusing on the real issue. "Sanjay Dutt was a peripheral
issue to the main blasts and if you see the film, you wouldn't know
where to fit him." Mr. Kashyap also said he had not tried to pass any
judgement on anyone in the film. "People could judge because if you see
a character behave in a particular manner, then you are bound to think
about it.
"That is a different story that the verdict is finally along the
lines of what we had shown in the film, our research was that thorough.
But we respect the court orders and the delay that happened did happen."
The film has already done the rounds of several film festivals and
received positive reviews. It will be released in India on 9 February.
BBC
1993 Mumbai blasts
12 blasts
257 dead
713 injured
123 arrested and tried
686 witnesses testify
35,000 pages of evidence submitted
13 years to reach verdicts |