Sunday Observer Online


Sunday, 24 January 2010





Marriage Proposals
Government Gazette

Terrorist horrors faded away on May 19, 2009

The Sri Lankan nation which rose up brushing aside the dust of war within the past six to seven months after the death of that megalomaniac terrorist Velupillai Prabhakaran on May 19,2009 in the banks of Nanthikadal lagoon, still cannot erase the memories of those brutal massacres, which are still haunting their minds.

They can remember the way the entire nation wept and moaned when the innocent children who were to take over this country were brutally massacred by those ruthless terrorists.

The massacre in Kebithigollewa on June 15, 2006 and the suicide blast on February 3, 2008 at the Fort railway station were added to the history of this nation as the bloodiest days since they were not mere bomb blasts that devastated the country but events that put this nation in a deep sorrow for generations.

The ruthless terrorists had no bounds for their terror acts. The rural folk, the urban middle class, the Sinhalese, Muslims and even Tamils became victims to their brutal terror.

Those brutal terrorists who now lie peacefully in their graves put the country in sorrow on June 15, 2006. It was just and usual news for the people of this country which was marred by terrorism when they heard a passenger bus was caught in a bomb blast. But it did not become simple news for the country when the story unfolded in detail by the media.

When villagers of Yakavewa, Halmillewa, Kanugahavewa an Thalgahavewa in the far end of the Anuradhapura district moaned, the entire nation joined them. But the most tragic instance came very late and people could not bear up when they saw a row of rosy faced little kids laid on the floor of the Kebithigollewa hospital. They had closed their eyes for ever not to see the world which had been cruel to them.

This horror scene scared the parents of their future and more than ever of their young ones when they saw those rosy faces of the innocent children and the parents who were weeping over their lost souls.

Sixty four innocent civilians including 15 children were killed and 87 others injured in that brutal Tiger bomb blast targeting this passenger bus which was plying to Kebithigollewa. The Tiger terrorists triggered off the twin claymore mines after counting until the very moment, that they could make much damage and spread shock waves across the country.

Most of the children killed were attending the Kebithigollewa hospital children’s clinic. Some of the dead and injured included students attending tuition classes for the Year 5 Scholarship examination.

Among the dead was an extended family of 35 and a Buddhist Monk, Ven. Aparekke Suddassa Thera who was going for a funeral in Vavuniya.

Around 40 others in the bus were also attending the same funeral.Fifty eight of them died on the spot. At least 160 persons had been inside the bus

But, that unfortunate incident could put this country in a determined path of war against terrorism. The hapless villagers were not left behind unlike in the past. The Head of State and the Commander in Chief, President Mahinda Rajapaksa himself reached the place to share the sorrow of those villagers on the very same day despite the threats on his life.

He mingled with the sorrow stricken parents sharing their feelings as if it was his own children who were killed in this incident. Tears dropped from his own eyes when the parents moaned over their dead children and showed their tiny bodies to him. But he stood with the firm determination to get rid of this curse, terrorism, and to be a strength to these people battered by the brutal terrorist acts.

A well planned program to strengthen the security of these threatened villages in the Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Ampara, Trincomalee and Puttalam districts after reorganizing the Home Guard service into a Civil Security Department, a program to improve the infrastructure facilities in those villages were commenced immediately after this tragic incident that placed the entire nation in sorrow.

The bodies of those bomb victims were buried under State patronage when the entire nation was weeping over theirs deaths while making a firm commitment to get rid of Tiger terrorism from the country. More than 10,000 mourners gathered at this mass burial.

But that was not the end of their brutal terrorism. They continued with the very same terror tactics even when they were facing severe defeats in the battlefront in the East and in the Wanni.

They carriedout number of bomb blasts targeting well-known politicians, and civilian targets.

But is was on the eve of the 60th Independence Day in Colombo when the entire nation was preparing to celebrate. The Tiger terrorist once again came out with yet another brutal terror attack in Colombo Fort railway station.

Once again shock waves spread in the country as it took the precious lives of teenagers who were about to breathe the fresh air of their youth.

Seven members of the baseball team from D.S. Senanayake College Colombo and its coach and two other teenage girls were killed as a female suicide cadre blew herself up inside the Fort railway station to avoid being arrested by Police sleuths.

Lives of nine children were brutally taken away by the Fort Railway station bomb blast on February 3, They had vivid dreams for their future.

Some of them wanted to become pilots, while others doctors. Some were excellent sportsmen while others were prolific dancers. Yet, all hopes was shattered in an instant, crushed by the inhumane hand of terrorism which took innocent lives from both sides of the ethnic divide.

Supun Halalle, Eranda Chaturanga, Thivanka Thisera, Kolitha Kumara, Rajaratnam Rateeswaran, Dinuth Piyasanka, Vimukthi Sajan along with Malinda Amaradura, the coach of the baseball team were among those 11 people killed at Fort railway station bomb blast. They had just returned to Colombo from Kandy after participating in a baseball tournament.There is no need to express the feelings of the parents who lost their children who were to shine like stars in society.

The school and the entire nation lost the talents of those youngsters forever, becoming victims of terror before rendering their yeoman service to the nation as citizens of this country.

The entire nation once again faced a similar situation to that, that created ethnic violence in 1983, when the bodies of these children were taken to D.S. Senanayake College for the students and the staff to pay their last respects.

But the entire nation once again tolerated this act of terror as they were aware that the country was in the winning path against LTTE terrorism. They waited patiently and tightened their belts to move fast with the war against terrorism as they were aware that their patience will one day bring peace to the country.

At the same time the citizens of this country were aware that the country was on the correct path of winning the war and they were not moved by any of the terror attacks like the Piliyandala bus bomb and several other blasts that took place in Colombo and the suburbs.It was on May 19, 2009 they realized that their patience has brought fruitful results as they saw the body of the megalomaniac terrorist Velupillai Prabakaran on the banks of Nanthikadal lagoon.

It was the day they breathed a sigh of relief as they were fully aware that an era of terror had gone with the eradication of terrorism from the country.



Donate Now |
LANKAPUVATH - National News Agency of Sri Lanka
Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL)

| News | Editorial | Finance | Features | Political | Security | Sports | Spectrum | Montage | Impact | World | Magazine | Junior | Obituaries |


Produced by Lake House Copyright © 2010 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor