Untitled-1

observer
 ONLINE

OTHER PUBLICATIONS

OTHER LINKS

Marriage Proposals
Classified
Government Gazette

UNHRC sessions open in Geneva tomorrow (14):

Pro LTTE groups push for int’l war crime probe

Over 15 pro LTTE diaspora groups pushing LTTE ideology of a separate state will have their representatives in Geneva armed with another short film highlighting genocide claims, during the crucial UN Human Right Council 30th sessions which will open tomorrow, September 14.

A source revealed that these groups, posing as neutral human rights lobbies have planned a massive campaign, demanding an international probe on Sri Lanka, in place of a domestic mechanism that the US will be supporting through a new resolution at the upcoming session. The new ‘consensus resolution’, which has alarmed the pro-LTTE diaspora, will be moved in collaboration with all stakeholders including Sri Lanka on or after September 30 at the Council.

The Sunday Observer learns that these LTTE groups have already hired a London based high profile PR Agency, to lead their propaganda campaign.US Ambassador in Geneva, Keith Harper, reading out a special statement on behalf of his government on August 24 said, “We plan to offer a resolution on Sri Lanka to follow up on the new Sri Lankan government’s efforts to promote reconciliation and accountability,”

“We hope to work collaboratively with the new government of Sri Lanka and key stakeholders on this text,” Ambassador Harper added. The new resolution is expected to propose action to follow up on the report of the OHCHR investigation requested in HRC resolution 25/1 moved by the US and four co-sponsors in March 2014.

The Ambassador has scheduled an informal meeting on September 17, in room 24 from 10.00am to noon to drum up support for their latest resolution on Sri Lanka.

Dismayed

Authoritative sources at the Foreign Ministry said on Friday that the text of the new resolution is yet to be drafted. This move by the principal sponsor of the March 2014 resolution had dismayed the hardliners in the diaspora, springing them into action.

The hired PR agency has already sent out initial flyers, publicising the short film, ‘Sri Lanka: The Search for Justice’, also by the director of ‘No fire Zone’. The release stated, ‘the new film – containing graphic video evidence of war crimes and massacres – is addressed to members of the Human Rights Council.’

The Agency claimed, the ‘No Fire Zone’ played a key role ‘in convincing the international community to take action over the Sri Lankan massacres of 2009, in which tens of thousands of Tamil civilians died.’ The latest film is expected to create a similar impact on Council members into backing an ‘international accountability process to ensure truth and justice in Sri Lanka’.

Director, Callum Macrae is currently on an international preview tour of the film in five Latin American countries, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and Mexico. Later it will be previewed in New York, Washington before proceeding to Geneva for a screening at the Palais de Nation, the Human Rights Council’s headquarters, according to the organisers.

Among those LTTE diaspora front-runners expected to be present in Geneva are Fr.Emmanuel of Global Tamil Forum, Suren Surendran of British Tamil Forum, V. Rudrakumaran of Transnational Government of Tamil Eelam, Gary Anandasangaree of the Canadian Tamil Congress and Ranjan Sri Ranjan of the National Council of Canadian Tamils.

Sources said these activists will engage in one-on-one meetings with important stakeholders on the sidelines of the sessions to garner support for their call.

In contrast, to this aggressive campaign, the Sri Lankan Government has not set much importance to its team to the Human Rights Council this time, apparently encouraged by the shift in attitude towards Sri Lanka by the international community and the US after the January 8 elections.

The official delegation from Colombo to Geneva will comprise Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera, Justice Minsiter Wijedasa Rajapakshe and Eastern Province Governor Austin Fernando. The Minister will be in Geneva from September 13 to 14.

The Attorney General was not asked to nominate an expert from his Department to the delegation this time. Earlier, a legal expert from the AG’s Department was an integral part of Sri Lanka’s Geneva team.

“The new government has embarked on a completely different approach in Geneva, whereas the former government struggled to defend its own human rights record, the current government will defend human rights like any other country before the HRC,” a senior foreign official said.

The official added that Sri Lanka did not transpire in the HRC agenda during the March or June sessions this year, which was a positive development.The government did not block a move by a TNA group led by Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam to carry out a signature campaign in the Northern province demanding an international accountability mechanism and also the planned activities of Sri Lankan civil society groups’ there.

“We are yet to decide if the Foreign Minister will proceed to Geneva to take part in the discussion on the report or a special envoy will be appointed for this task,” the official said. Minister Samaraweera is scheduled to be in New York with President Maithripala Sirisena by the time the report of the High Commissioner of Human Rights is presented for discussion in the Council on September 30.

There is also the possibility of Sri Lanka’s Permanent Representative in Geneva, Ravinatha Aryasingha to be called on to represent Sri Lanka’s interests on September 30.

[The PR push]

The following are excerpts of a letter sent by an international PR company regarding a new documentary film on human rights violations during the May 2009 war.

From:Sophie Toumazis

Date: 9 September 2015 at 19:12

Subject: New short film ‘Sri Lanka: The Search For Justice Let Them Be Heard – from team behind Emmy-nominated documentary ‘No Fire Zone’ – calls for international accountability process over the Sri Lankan massacres of 2009

Hello,

I’m getting in touch to let you know that the team behind the controversial Emmy-nominated feature documentary ‘No Fire Zone’ – credited with playing a key role in convincing the international community to take action over the ‘Sri Lankan massacres of 2009’, in which tens of thousands of Tamil civilians died – have today launched a new short film, ‘Sri Lanka: The Search For Justice’.

The hard-hitting half-hour long video coincides with the long anticipated publication of the international war crimes investigation into the massacres, ordered by the United Nations Human Rights Council 18 months ago in Geneva. It will be made live to an international public today – initially in English and Spanish, with translations in Tamil, Sinhala, French and Hindi to follow online in the next few days. (See links below).rassment by security forces.

‘Sri Lanka: The Search For Justice’ is currently being taken on an international preview tour through five Latin American countries – Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and Mexico – by ‘No Fire Zone’ director Callum Macrae. He will then travel to the United States to screen the film and meet with politicians, government officials and human rights activists in both New York and Washington. From there he will take the film to Geneva, where it will be screened in the Palais de Nation, the Human Rights Council’s headquarters.

Last month the United States Government caused alarm among Tamil groups and human rights activists alike when it announced that it will seek to present a consensus resolution on Sri Lanka to this month’s Human Rights Council jointly with the Government of Sri Lanka. However, the Government of Sri Lanka’s refusal to accept anything other than a domestic inquiry has led to fears that the Council itself might be asked to endorse a domestic process (with some technical assistance from the UN).

Such a proposal would run directly counter to the wishes of the victims. The English version of Sri Lanka:

The Search for Justice can be seen on: https://vimeo.com/137574446

The Spanish version of Sri Lanka: The Search for Justice can be seen on: https://vimeo.com/137683777

Watch the trailer for ‘No Fire Zone’ on : www.nofirezone.org

To interview Callum Macrae contact him directly on [email protected] or +44 (0) 7860 256 127.

Let me know if you’d like any more information or imagery.

Best wishes,

Sophie
tpr media
communications agency

www.tpr-media.com

 | EMAIL |   PRINTABLE VIEW | FEEDBACK

TENDER - Sale of GOSS COMMUNITY PRESS
Daily News & Sunday Observer subscriptions
eMobile Adz

| News | Editorial | Finance | Features | Political | Security | Sports | Spectrum | World | Obituaries | Junior |

Produced by Lake House Copyright © 2015 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor