Glimpses of Trincomalee’s past
The interesting article titled “Tracing the ancient history of Sampur,
written by D.G.A. Perera that appeared in the ‘Sunday Observer’ of
10.9.2006, has prompted me to write this article. The reasons for it
being that Trincomalee’s vital importance lies in its strategic harbour,
the Naval base and other installations pregnant with economic values,
like Prima Flour Co., Tokyo Cement Co, together with the Indian Oil
Tanks as Sampur which was re-captured recently by our valiant armed
forces could have been used as a launching pad by the LTTE for potential
attacks with artillery and mortar.
Chequered history
In tracing the glimpses of Trincomalees past, I have delved into them
by taking excerpts from our ancient chronicles in the ilk of Mahavamsa,
Culavamsa, Pujavaliya together with other references culled from old
books written on Ceylon’s past by Robert Knox, Phillipus Baldaeus, James
Cordiner. Emerson Tennet and the latest from the ‘Ceylon Traveller - a
Studio Times publication - 1974 & 1983.
During the early years of valiant Dutugemunu king’s period, when he
emancipated Lanka from Damilas’ invasions, he is believed to have built
many Viharas and monasteries in Gokanna - the archaic name for
Trincomalee as alluded to in the chronicles, like Mahavamsa, Culavamsa,
Pujavaliya. There had been a plurality of synonyms for present
Trincomalee then known as Gokanna. Among them are Gonagama,
Gonagamakapattana.

Trincomalee’s show piece: Koneswaram Temple |
This bewitching sea side resort of Trincomalee whispers of its long
history and legend everywhere. Here it is redolent of Prince Vijaya (the
progenitor of the Sinhalese race and the first king of ancient Lanka)
and his exploits around this ancient kingdom of Gokanna. His successor
King Panduvasu Deva of the 5th century B.C., is said to have founded the
imposing rock sentinel over the harbour of Trincomalee also popularly
known as Swami Rock. While during the Dutch/British times it was called
as Fort Frederick.
During King Mahasena’s period (3rd century A.D. famed as one of the
greatest tank builders), he had constructed many tanks in this Gokanna
region. The first stupa he had built on it then was called Gokannagir
(Fort Frederick). During that period of time this region was a populous
village named Gokannagama.
The colossal king who emerged as one of the next dynamic tank
builders was Prakaram Bahu - The Great (A.D. 1153-1186). This
magnificent and just king had even exploited the precious waters of the
great Maha Weli ganga and its tributaries which became the lifeblood of
the farmers (and with the Accelerated Mahaweli Project). With the
succession of King Vijaya Bahu II (1186-87) who ruled over Polonnaruwa,
he expelled the Chola invaders and fortified Trincomalee, as well. After
his noble rule, Trinco which was the bastion of the Sinhalese kings for
over 1500 years went into oblivion.
Queen of the harbours
Trincomalee has been acclaimed over the Global compass, as one of the
finest natural harbours of the world. Hence Trinco was fondly named as
the Queen of the Harbours of our resplendent isle. So is the Mahaweli
ganga which is the “Queen” among our rivers which debouces its ruddy
waters at Kottiyar Bay (Trincomalee). This Kottiyar Bay from time
immemorial had been the safe haven for anchoring sailing ships bringing
princes, princesses and nobles from India, followed by later conquerors
like the Portuguese, Dutch, British (even the Danes and French for a
short time). Even for barter trade sailing ships were anchored at this
Kottiyar Bay.
Robert Knox in his ‘Historical Relation of Ceylon’ (1681), has
referred to Kottiyar Bay as ‘Cottiar’. In it, it is mentioned vividly
when Kottiyar Bay was a sea port of trade with the concurrence of the
King-Rajasinha II (1620-1687). In fact the ship ‘Anne’ in which both he
and his father Robert Knox (Snr) sailed was anchored at this ancient
port of Kottiyar Bay on 19th November 1659. Knox’s description of this
port of Kottiyar Bay where sailing ships had come on trade is thus:
“Formerly the king had the benefit of the trade of two Ports Cotiar and
Portolone (Puttalam), into each of which used to come yearly some twenty
to thirty sail of small vessels which brought in considerable customs
in”.
Mahaweli Ganga
As the Mahaweli Ganga has its estuary at this Kottiyar Bay, it is
nothing but fitting to recall the ancient names that were alluded to
Mahaweli ganga as quoted from the Chronicles like ‘Mahavamsa’, ‘Culavamsa’,
‘Rasavahini’, ‘Pujavali’ thus :- Maha Valuka Gangawa/Maha Kandara Nadi/Maha
Ganga.
Other names by foreign writers
Foreign writers had spelt the name of Trincomalee in different ways.
Reobert Knox in his Historical Relation of Ceylon (1681), had this vivid
account of Trincomalee: “....being with the sea coasts on its east side
Trenkmalay and Batticlow. The main river of all is called Mavelagondaa,
runs thro the whole land northward and falls into the sea at Trinkimalay”.
Tennet in his ‘Ceylon’ Voll II has described fascinatingly thus:
“(1859) - of all rivers, the most important is the Mahaweli ganga - the
Ganges of Ptolmoy rising in the south near Adama’s Peak and flows into
it by a number of branches near the noble harbour of Trincommali”.
James Cordiner in his “A Description of Ceylon” (1807) boasts of its
bewitching account thus: “The harbour, the safest and most spacious on
the confines of the eastern ocean, whilst proves to be an acquisition of
intrinsic value, presents at the same time the richest prospects, the
communication with the sea being, in almost every direction, entirely
concealed, it resembles a beautiful and extensive lake. Hills
diversified by a variety of forms, and covered with luxuriant verdue,
rise steep all round, completely enclosing the capacious basin. Many
winding creeks, in which the water becomes tranquil, afford pleasing
pictures and a few ornamental islands dispersed through the wild
expanse, add to the picturesque appearance of the scene five hundred
ships of the line may enter with it with ease, and ride at anchor,
without the smallest inconvenience. The harbour is accessible at all
seasons, but for one half of the year mariners give the preference to
Black Bay, it being sufficiently safe and affording a more ingress.”
Phillipu Baldaeus in his A True And Exact Description of The Great
Island Of Ceylon (“1672) had referred to Trincomalee as Tirnquelemale”.
A popular saying coming down the ages of time about Trinco’s
impregnability is amplified by these glorious words: “He who commands
Trincomalee/commands Sri Lanka”! The veracity of this virtuous dictum is
aptly portrayed as during World War II (1939-46). The British Admiralty
had its strategic Naval Head Quarters based there under the command of
the war hero Adimira Viscount Mountbatten. Its harbour even commanded
The South East command under him.
Etymology
The mountain topography around Trincomalee is surrounded by three
mountain frontiers having the shape of a rough cone in three sizes,
while malai means mountain. When these two words are coined into Tamil
meaning malai, thus giving the meaning of three hills in the shape of
three triangular hills. Hence its derivation as Trincomalee. The Hindus
take the etymology to the three Kovils which in ancient times were said
to have existed, adjacent to each other on a hill (malai). In Tamil
literature it is referred to as ‘Conamalai’ which is alluded to ‘Swami
Rock’ as it is dedicated to God Siva. This Kovila is also known as Sri
Koneswarm Temple/ Kovil on which Fort Frederick stands built during
British times. Sri Koneswaram Temple is surrounded by another quaint
legend reminiscent of king Ravana. According to this myth, it appears
that when Ravana’s mother was ailing he wanted to remove this rock
temple. As he was heaving the rock, God Siva perceived his nefarious
motives and God Siva by his miraculous powers made Ravana to drop the
sword. As a result of this impact, a cleft was created on the surface of
which is seen to this day. They call this cleavage as ‘Ravana Vettu’ -
meaning Ravana’s Cleft.
Foreign invasions
During the 16th century A.D., when the Portuguese conquistadors were
the ruthless masters of our maritime provinces, they left a trail of
destruction in destroying most of the sacred Buddhist temples and Hindu
Shrines. They destroyed the Koneswaram temple and other Buddhist shrines
in its environs. Besides the Portuguese, the Dutch, British ruled over
Trincomalee, while the Danes and French held it only for a very short
time. By 1656 A.D. the Portuguese draconian rule ended. But this port
had been the bloody battlefield of many warring nations.
When the French took possession of Trincomalee was only short lived
and lasted only for one year from 1782-83.
In January 1782, it was captured by the famed English Admiral Edward
Huges. But after eight months, the French Admiral de Sa Saffron forced
the British garrison to surrender. After the Peace Treaty in 1784,
Trincomalee was under the British rule. In 1795, it finally fell into
the hands of the British. The foundation of the fort was initially laid
by the Danes in 1620, but they were later expelled by the Portuguese.
This Fort Frederick was constructed in 1803, after the then Duke of
York. Fort Frederick where stands the present Sri Koneswaram Temple,
besides its sanctity is well-known for a tragic episode that was said to
have occurred during the Dutch regime. From the edge of this cliff, that
juts into the placid vast ocean, a love-lorn maiden was to have flung
herself over the cliff, when her jilted lover sailed over the ocean, as
she was left in the lurch by him.
The victim was Francina Van Rhede - a daughter of a Dutch official. A
Stone Pillar is said to have been erected on this tragic spot as a
memorial to her. This exact spot where this awful suicidal act happened
is called as ‘Lover’s Leap’. |