Sunday Observer Online


Sunday, 12 June 2011





Marriage Proposals
Government Gazette

Trinity regain Bradby in shock win

The Trinity 'Lions' roared and pounced back with a vengeance to grab the Bradby Shield after three years when they beat Royal by 40 points (3 goals, 2 tries, 2 penalties and drop goal) to 5 (1 try) in a pulsating Singer schools 'A' division rugby match in their 2nd 'leg' at the Royal College Sports Complex grounds yesterday.

Trinity hooker Inzamam Mubarak is tackled by a Royal player as he is about to collect the ball in yesterday's 2nd leg of the 67th Bradby Shield rugby encounter between Royal and Trinity at the Royal College Sports Complex grounds. Trinity beat Royal by 40 points to 5 to win the trophy after 3 years.
Pic. Kavindra Perera

The fancied Royalist were made to bite the dust as Trinity's forwards and backs gave a fascinating display of open rugby. The Kandy school's lethal combination brought the Royalist to spectator status at times, as nothing went right for Royal.

Trinity from the start ran the ball at every given opportunity and tackled their opponents to a standstill. Royal in the meantime tried to go with their forwards but was brought down with the Trinitians fortress like defence.

Royal started off badly when their reliable place kicker Arshad Jamaldeen missed 22 meter penalty and missed the second, a 45 meter kick.

To add to their woes Arshad Jamaldeen who was instrumental in many a Royal wins this season was carried off the field about ten minutes before the half time in a stretcher when he was injured off a tackled and did not take part there after and Royal played sans their reliable place kicker.

However, Jamaldeen's absence was not felt much as the kicking process did not come Royal's way as the Trinitians ran amok to rattled the Royalist.

For Trinity fly half Rehan Weerakoon had a fine game putting over two penalties and a drop goal while Mohammed Sashan, Dilshan Kelaniyagoda and Kanil Seneviratne excelled in the back division for the winners.

For Trinity Rehan Weerakoon put over a penalty in the tenth minute and five minutes later a fine three quarter move saw Kanishka Yatawara falling over for a try. Weerakoon added the extra points.

Minutes later Weerakoon fired over a another penalty and later a drop goal. A drop goal kicked earlier was disallowed and Weerakoon made amends for that. Another try initiated off a three quarter move which sent Mohammed Sashan over gave the Kandy school a healthy 21-0 lead at the breather.

On resumption Royal tried to come back with their heavy set of forwards but were unable to penetrate the Trinity defence line.

Trinity continued their scoring spree and in the ninth minute of the second half number eight Sean Foster scored off a second phase move and then Kanil Seneviratne picking up a ball which went loose ran through to touch down.

Thereafter a breath taking run by Mohammed Sashan who covered a good forty meters touched down on the far left corner. Fly Half Rehan Weerakoon added the extra points with an equally fine conversion.

During the latter stages of the game Royal spearheaded by their skipper and number eight Shehan Pathirana launched a desperate attack driving into rucks and mauls in the Trinity territory but it was insufficient to pierce the solid defence formed by Trinity.

Royal recorded their solitary try of the match when number eight Shehan Pathirana scored.

Dilroy Fernando refereed.



Donate Now |
LANKAPUVATH - National News Agency of Sri Lanka
Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL)

| News | Editorial | Finance | Features | Political | Security | Sports | Spectrum | Montage | Impact | World | Obituaries | Junior | Magazine |


Produced by Lake House Copyright 2011 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor