Spanish train driver avoides police questioning
27 July AFP
The driver of a speeding train that crashed in northwestern Spain on
Wednesday night, killing 78 people, has refused to respond to police
questioning on Friday, a police spokesman told AFP."The driver has
refused to answer the police authorities," said the spokesman, adding
that the case will now "proceed to a judicial process as soon as
possible."
Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, 52, who has remained in hospital under
police supervision since the crash, was formally detained by police on
Thursday night accused of criminal recklessness, according to the head
of the Galician police service Jaime Iglesias.
The train was said to have been travelling at more than twice the 80
kilometres per hour speed limit when it came off the rails four
kilometres from the city's main station and slammed into a concrete wall
on the side of the track.
Amo, while still trapped in his cab, reportedly told railway
officials by radio that the train had been travelling at 190 kilometres
(118 miles) per hour.
"I was going at 190! I hope no one died because it will weigh on my
conscience," he was quoted as saying by Spanish newspaper El Pais.
On top of the 78 confirmed deaths, 81 people remain in hospital with
31 in a serious condition.
The disaster is the worst railway accident to have taken place in
Spain since 1944.
|