Poaching by Indian fishermen in Sri Lankan waters:
Collective action vital
By Manjula Fernando
Increasing incidents of poaching by Indian fishermen in Sri Lankan
waters have become a volatile issue with tensions running high among
local fisher-folk who were recently given fishing rights in the Northern
waters. This issue has become a contentious issue for South Indian
politicians.
 |
External Affairs Minister
Prof. G.L. Peiris and Indian External Affairs Minister, Shri
Salman Kurshid |
 |
Jayalalitha
Jayaram |
 |
Minster
Rajitha Senaratne |
In this backdrop, last week over 100 Indian fishermen were indicted
by Courts in Jaffna and Trincomalee in the North and Eastern provinces.
The Indian media described the action as a ‘marked change in the
attitude maintained by Sri Lanka towards Indian fishermen’, because
earlier fishermen and the boats were released within several days sans
any legal action.
The decision to prosecute fishermen maybe a tactic to deter the
rising numbers of fishermen breaching territorial waters in the Palk
Straits. This has already created ripples within the local fisher
community.
External Affairs Minister Prof. G.L. Peiris when confronted by the
media in India recently said ‘ We are anxious to resolve this problem.
Our problem is they come in large numbers – about 1,500 fisher men in
400 to 500 boats.’
The Hindu quoted him as saying ‘They come as close as 700 metres from
Sri Lanka’s eastern sea-board.’ And also saying that prosecutions have
been looked into as an option to dissuade poachers since arrest and
release after several days have proved ineffective.
The External Affairs Ministry Secretary, K. Amunugama told the Sunday
Observer the Government did not wish to strain bi-lateral relations over
this issue, but it was a volatile one where local fishermen have sought
government intervention to resolve it.
The Fisheries Ministry said, during 2012, the number of fishing
vessels and fishermen arrested for poaching in Sri Lankan waters stood
at 28 and 146. During the first seven months of this year, the number of
boats taken in and fishermen arrested were 53 and 292.
By last week the Police held 110 Indian fishermen and 20 vessels in
custody. They were produced before three Courts, in Point Pedro,
Trincomalee and Thalaimannar and currently legal action is proceeding.
The practice followed earlier was to arrest the Indian poachers by
the Navy and hand them over to the nearest police station. Subsequently,
the Foreign Ministry is informed by the Police who then alert the Indian
High Commission. Thereafter on the request of the Foreign Ministry the
Attorney General's Department will release them and the repatriation
will be done as soon as possible.
Poaching by Indian fishermen in the northern and eastern seas
increased following the lifting of Emergency after the end of the war
with terrorism four years back.
Security checks by Navy on Indian fishing vessels for smuggling arms
and ammunition also ceased as there was no immediate threat. Aware of
these slackened rules, the Indian vessels pays no attention to
patrolling Navy crafts. An understanding between the two governments
also binds the Navy from taking any action even as small as firing a
warning shot, a Navy source said.
He said the Indian boats which are much larger than the small craft
used by the Lankan fishermen, are notorious for indiscriminate fishing
such as bottom trawling, a method strictly prohibited on both sides of
the Palk Strait for the destruction it causes to the marine life.
The Navy's hands are tight when it comes to Indian offenders but the
locals engage in bottom trawling will be caught by the patrolling
crafts.
In a media briefing on Thursday the Fisheries Minister Rajitha
Senaratne said it was absolute hypocrisy that the fishing vessels owned
by South Indian leaders who take to streets over the rights of the
Tamils in the North and East, cold heartedly deprive the livelihoods of
the very same people.
Fisheries Ministry has sought a dialogue with the Attorney General on
the legal side of retaining the poaching vessels (owned by the big time
fish traders) after releasing boat hands who work for daily wages.
An agreement signed between India and Sri Lanka in 1974 gave Indian
fishermen traditional rights which interpreted as fishing rights around
Katchechetivu, a second agreement in 1976 however, withdrew these
rights. Nevertheless the south Indian fishermen continued to exploit
fishing grounds in Sri Lankan territorial waters until 1983. From 83 to
2009 during the height of war the poaching was minimal due to the Navy's
tight vigil in the sea for LTTE activity and restrictions on fishing.
The local fishermen, deprived economically for a long time due to the
conflict, find it difficult to stomach that the south Indian fishermen
were now depriving them of their livelihood. After all they have just
begun rebuilding their lives after decades of suppression during the
LTTE rule.
From 2008 to 2013, Indian authorities have arrested 547, 779, 375,
168, 120 and 109 Lankan fishermen respectively. However, there is no Sri
Lankan fishermen in their custody at present. All those arrested have
been released as of today, the Fisheries Ministry spokesperson, Narendra
Rajapaksa said.
The Central Government has understood the gravity of the issue.
Making a statement in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday (22), Indian External
Affairs Minister, Shri Salman Kurshid said, ‘The need for creating
greater awareness among our fishermen to avoid crossing over into Sri
Lankan waters for their own safety and security has been felt.”
He said the Tamil Nadu Government has been asked to expedite a
meeting of representatives of fishermen associations to douse the rising
tensions.
The large numbers of South Indian fishing boats coming into Sri
Lankan waters is an issue the two Governments had to contend with after
the conflict ended. Many steps have been taken to solve the problem at
central level, but due to petty politics in South India, the issue might
drag on if corrective action is not instituted. |