UN troops in DR Congo shell M23 rebels near Goma
24 Aug BBC
UN troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo have launched an
offensive, shelling positions held by rebels near the eastern city of
Goma.The UN was responding to shelling from M23 rebels on Goma on
Thursday, a UN spokesman said. Congolese officials say five civilians in
the city died.A M23 spokesman told the BBC it had not attacked the city,
blaming the army for provoking the fighting.A new UN intervention
brigade is deploying to the area to tackle rebels.
It has a mandate to neutralise and disarm rebel fighters. Its 3,000
soldiers are joining the regular UN peacekeeping force, Monusco, which
has more than 18,000 troops on the ground with a mandate to protect
civilians.UN spokesman Lt-Col Felix-Prosper Basse said two UN
helicopters were involved in the latest operation, which was being
backed by the Congolese army, attacking rebel positions in Kibati about
15km (nine miles) north of Goma.
"Fighting has entered a new phase as Monusco is now engaging the
rebels together with the government forces," he told the BBC's Focus on
Africa programme.The UN troops were protecting the area as the rebels
had been firing indiscriminately at civilians, he said.In November, the
M23 rebels briefly captured Goma, which borders Rwanda, withdrawing in
exchange for a series of demands, including negotiations with the
government.
DR Congo's Information Minister Lambert Mende told the BBC's Great
Lakes Service that some of the shells that fell on Goma on Thursday had
come from the direction of Rwanda.
|