General Election 2015:
Bloemendhal shooting - no arrests so far
by Manjula Fernando
Reporting the first major poll-related incident in the 2015 General
Election, a UNF supporter was gunned down and 12 others were injured in
Bloemendhal Road, Kotahena on Friday, at an election rally of Minister
Ravi Karunanayake.
 |
A police officer at the
scene of the crime Pic. AFP |
 |
Finance Minister Ravi
Karunanayake visited the Colombo National Hospital and met the
victims
Pic: Omlanka.net |
No arrests were made in connection with the shooting as of yesterday.
However, police were investigating a black car abandoned on Friday
evening near Bloemendhal housing scheme.
Investigation officers have found a T-56 magazine and 20 live bullets
inside the car. "We have not established that this was the car the
suspects arrived in but investigations are on-going on that premise," a
police spokesperson said.
A large gathering of about 500 supporters took part in the
house-to-house campaign, organised to muster support for UNF candidate,
Minister Ravi Karunanayake.
The Minister had a close shave while a mother of three, Sithy Nasima
of Madampitiya was killed on the spot. Twelve others were admitted to
hospital with injuries including five in a serious condition.
Investigations have been taken over by the CID and the Colombo Crimes
Division.
The police are also on the lookout for a person known as Army Sampath,
an underworld criminal of the area in connection with the incident.
On Friday, four attackers clad in black, arrived at a campaign near
St. Benedict's College grounds at Bloemendhal Road, shooting
indiscriminately at everyone on sight, armed with automatic weapons.
Eyewitnesses said they arrived in a black hybrid car, descended quietly
and carried on their rampage for ten minutes around 11.00am.
Soon after the incident, UNP General Secretary in a release said,
"The most recent incident of violence which took place at Bloemendhal
Road, Colombo clearly demonstrates the plans of those elements who
reject the culture of good governance and their intent on winning
elections by unleashing terror."
Extending condolences to the victim's family, he said, "We will not
leave room to retard our efforts to establish a civilized political
culture."
Minister Ravi Karunanayuake making an on-the-spot statement to the
media, attributed the incident to the raucous elements in the former
regime who conspire with party goons to revive the white van era.
"This attack comes in the wake of the Government's attempts to expose
and punish those involved in ethanol, drugs and other illegal
activities." He said people will not fall prey to the fear psychosis
which reigned the country earlier but will give a fitting reply on
August 17.
Election monitors expressed shock over Friday's incident and called
on all parties for restraint to ensure a violence-free election.
PAFFREL Chairman, Rohana Hettiarachchi said they condemn the incident
but added that every effort must be taken by political parties and the
police to prevent tit-for-tat action by supporters. He said it was
premature to comment if this was an inter-party or intra-party incident
but added that underworld involvement cannot be ruled out considering
the place and the manner in which the incident took place.
CaFFE said this is the worst thing that can happen in any election
campaign. CaFFE executive Director, Keerthi Tennakoon said the police
need to ensure that law and order is protected throughout the campaign
period while party leaders needed to reign in their supporters.
|