Typhoon bears down on Philippines
Typhoon Parma is due to make landfall in the storm-battered
Philippines in the next few hours.
President Gloria Arroyo has declared a national “state of calamity”
and 33,000 people have been ordered to leave homes in the storm’s
predicted path.The US Navy says it has two ships in Manila Bay ready to
help if needed.Many South East Asian nations are still reeling from
Typhoon Ketsana, which killed hundreds in the Philippines, Cambodia,
Laos and Vietnam last week.Early on Saturday, Parma altered course
slightly and was due to make landfall in Aurora province near the
northern tip of the main island of Luzon later in the day. Officials
said it had sustained winds of 175km/h (109mph) - down from its earlier
force of 230km/h (140mph), but still capable of inflicting major
damage.It is now expected to hit less populous regions, but it may still
impact on areas around the capital, Manila, still recovering from last
week’s severe flooding.“We are concerned about the effects of more rain
on the relief work in flooded areas because the water level could rise
again,” Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said on national television.
US Navy Admiral Timothy Keating said two ships were off the coast of
Manila carrying full medical facilities and hundreds of marines who were
ready to go wherever needed.“The weather forecast is pretty grim for the
north part of Luzon,” he said.“We think the threat to downtown Manila is
lower than it is to the north part of Luzon.”Typhoon Ketsana caused
nearly 300 deaths in the Philippines, as well as more than 100 in
Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
-BBC
|