CHOGM official website to be launched shortly
President Mahinda Rajapaksa will launch the official website of the
CHOGM 2013, detailing the main agenda, dates, programs and venues
connected to the event, in two weeks time.
A spokesperson for the External Affairs Ministry said yesterday it
will be around the same time Sri Lanka celebrates the fourth anniversary
of eliminating 30 years of terrorism.
"Sri Lanka will be appointed head of the commonwealth for the next
two years. This will be a rare opportunity for Sri Lanka and it will
strengthen our image globally," spokesman, Rodney Perera said.
A Task Force appointed in September last year, headed by Monitoring
MP Sajin Vass Gunawardena and the Commonwealth Secretariat in London had
been closely working towards finalising the agenda and getting the dates
cleared. External Affairs Ministry's Chief of Protocol, Malinda
Jayasinghe is the CEO of the CHOGM 2013 Organising Committee. Meanwhile,
the Telegraph quoting a spokesman for the British Prime Minister, David
Cameron said the PM has decided to defy boycott calls and attend the
meeting in Sri Lanka.He said, "The Prime Minister will use his visit to
see the situation in the country for himself and be clear on what
progress is needed."
External Affairs Ministry, spokesman said no member of Government had
officially informed the Commonwealth Secretariat that they will boycott
the November event.
An international Terrorism Expert, Prof. Rohan Gunaratna in an
interview told the Sunday Observer last week, 'The focus of the LTTE
rump overseas is to disrupt the CHOGM, one of the most prestigious
global events, from being held in Sri Lanka.