![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Sunday, 14 April 2002 |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Features | ![]() |
News Business Features |
Sixty years of St. Joseph's Girls' School, Nugegoda
"Great oaks from little acorns grow", so sang the Poet and what better moment to these immortal words can there be than our beloved School-St, Joseph's Girls' School, Nugegoda. From small beginnings - a handful of students under a tin roof with mud plastered floor one teacher took the challenge of beginning a school which today has flourished and become one of the leading schools a pride to the nation and the people. She was Mrs. Raymond the first teacher from Raymond Road, Nugegoda. Such was the seedling that was sown to sprout its branches. Rev. Fr. Don Peter from Dehiwala ministered to the school once a month. This humble environment became insufficient to accommodate the fast flourishing institution which today proudly demonstrate the power of dedicated service. Rev. Fr. The obald and Rev. Fr. W.C. Dabare were added to the staff. When Mrs. P.T. Ranasinghe a Senior Cambridge qualified teacher joined the staff of the school and became entitled to be an assisted school. Since then it had now reached massive proportions and it was decided to house it in its present premises on High Level Road, Nugegoda. Archbishop Messon was invited to bless the school. Rev. Fr. LeGoc, a learned priest a Frenchman but a true son of the soil, in the truest sense of the word undertook the designing and architecture of the building. The ceremonial opening of the School took place on September, 2nd, 1942. Two Sisters of the Holy Family Convent came daily to instruct the students. When Mrs. P.T. Ranasinghe was transferred, Mrs. R.R. Perera took over and served the school from September 2nd 1942 to August, 2nd 1943. Mrs. Perera accepted the challenge of making the school grow from strength to strength and together with other founder teachers is remembered with great pride and gratitude. With the coming of Rev. Mother Baptist who was appointed the first Principal of the School in 1952, the School reached a renewed period of enrichment. The destiny of the School was directed towards to greater heights. In 1953 Rev. Mother Raphael continued the good work. It was during her term that the School Song was first sung. Houses were established and the School Flag was proudly unfurled as a symbol of the heights to which the School had risen. The School Song was composed by Mrs. Alfreeda De Silva who was the elocution teacher of the School. St. Joseph's Convent had "arrived" thanks to the good work of these foreign Nuns. The pupils owe a deep debt of gratitude for the values and the discipline that has been inculcated in their hearts. For twelve years from 1959 January to 1971 Rev. Mother de Sales served with a deep sense of commitment and love. She continued in the same traditions and values laid down by her predecessors. Up to date the past pupils remember her with love and gratitude. These Nuns gave of their best to children of an alien land. In 1962 St. Joseph's Convent was taken over by the Government. Sinhala only was introduced and the School name changed to St. Joseph's Girls' School. After the departure of the English Medium, Mrs Monica Ranasinghe Mrs. Maureen Jayasinghe and Mrs. P.T. Hettiarachy, Mrs. Asoka Ariyapperuma and Mrs. E.A.C. Silva served the School with great ability, commitment and dedicated service. We render our heartfelt gratitude to these teachers. We are proud that Mrs. Stella Mallawaarachchy now Mrs. Stella Marapana has given the best part of her life to her Alma Mater. She had been a student for 12 years, teacher for 14 years and Vice-Principal for 18 years. Truly a record for any Past Pupil. We also want to celebrate the fact that the present Principal, Mrs. Sheila Cooray, for the first time in 60 years a past pupil of the School. We are jubilant over the fact that our 60th Anniversary will host these illustrious figures. In connection with the 60th Anniversary Celebrations the Past Pupils are organising a programme at the BMICH- a "Sing-a-Long" with "Sam the Man". On this memorable occasion we expect the fullest co-operation of every Past Pupil. The show will be in aid of refurbishing the School Hall. While thanking the innumerable offers of help which we have received not only from past pupils but also from their husbands and children we earnestly ask the help of others as well. |
News | Business | Features
| Editorial | Security Produced by Lake House |