Sunday Observer Online
 

Home

Sunday, 19 July 2009

Untitled-1

observer
 ONLINE


OTHER PUBLICATIONS


OTHER LINKS

Marriage Proposals
Classified
Government Gazette

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said “sorry” for an editorial attack on France’s first lady Carla Bruni for staying away from events organised for the Group of Eight summit.

Il Giornale newspaper, which is owned by Berlusconi’s brother, had accused the Italian wife of French President Nicolas Sarkozy of “boorishness” for snubbing the official programme for G8 spouses.

“I was very upset and deeply sorry when I was told about the articles published in the Italian dailies, including Il Giornale, containing offensive remarks about Mme Carla Bruni, wife of the president of the French republic,” Berlusconi said in a statement.

He said the comments were “out of place” and expressed his “esteem and friendship” for Bruni and Sarkozy.

Bruni came in for withering criticism from the right-wing daily.

“Someone tell the first lady that snobbery to the nth degree where we come from is called boorishness,” the paper said.

G8 first ladies, including Michelle Obama, wife of US President Barack Obama, last week toured L’Aquila, the Italian city devastated by an earthquake in April.

Bruni stayed away from the first ladies’ audience with Pope Benedict XVI.

- AFP

....................................
<<
Magazine Main Page

EMAIL |   PRINTABLE VIEW | FEEDBACK

www.evolve-sl.com
St. Michaels Laxury Apartments
www.lanka.info
www.apiwenuwenapi.co.uk
LANKAPUVATH - National News Agency of Sri Lanka
www.peaceinsrilanka.org
www.army.lk
www.news.lk
www.defence.lk
Donate Now | defence.lk
 

| News | Editorial | Finance | Features | Political | Security | Sports | Spectrum | Impact | World | Magazine | Junior | Letters | Obituaries |

 
 

Produced by Lake House Copyright © 2009 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor