Australia's Watson relishing opening gamble
by Ed Osmond
CRICKET: BIRMINGHAM, England, Aug 1 - Australia's Shane Watson said
he was relishing his latest challenge in a career which has so far not
gone to plan.
Watson, who made his name as a bowling all-rounder, surprisingly
opened the batting in the third Ashes test against England and
top-scored with 62 in his team's first innings.
"I was very nervous, opening the batting did increase the pressure on
me but it was a great challenge," he told a news conference on Saturday
after the third day's play was abandoned because of rain.
Watson's injury problems have limited him to nine tests in four years
and he is desperate to make the most of his opportunity after being
called into the side in place of Phillip Hughes.
"My career has never really gone to plan but I am going to do
everything I can to take this chance," the 28-year-old said.
Watson said he had made technical adjustments to his batting which
had equipped him better to deal with the new ball and that was evident
in his innings on Thursday when he mixed tight defence with trademark
drives and pulls.
"My technique was maybe a bit complicated so I have worked hard at
simplifying it," he said. "I really enjoyed facing the new ball and I
was pleased with the way I played."
Watson fell to the first ball of the second day, lbw to Graham
Onions.
"I didn't sleep too well, going over in my mind what I was going to
do to make a really big score," he said. "It wasn't a great ball that
got me out, I just stuffed up. But I will learn from it." Reuters
|