Maldives police stops presidential election
19 Oct BBC
Police in the Maldives are preventing a presidential election from
going ahead, eyewitnesses in the capital Male say.
The electoral commission had made a last-minute announcement that the
vote would be held as planned on Saturday.
But commission head Fuwad Thowfeek said police had entered his
offices and were stopping officials distributing election materials.Two
candidates had sought to have the poll delayed, because they had not
approved the voter register.Late on Friday, Gasim Ibrahim and Abdulla
Yameen had both sought an injunction against the poll at the Supreme
Court.
They complained that they hadn't had time to endorse the voter
register - a newly introduced requirement.The court didn't issue an
injunction but nor did it give a clear instruction for the election to
go ahead.ÓOnly one candidate had signed the voter register and therefore
it would have been a violation of the Supreme Court guidelines for the
election to go ahead,” police spokesman Abdulla Nawaz told the Agence
France-Presse news agency, after police took action to stop the election
taking place. Last week, the Maldives Supreme Court annulled the result
of the first round of the elections held in September because of alleged
irregularities.The main opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed won 45% in
that poll against 5% for current President Mohamed Waheed.Mr Waheed has
since withdrawn from the election.
Mr Nasheed now faces two opponents - Gasim Ibrahim and Abdulla Yameen
- neither of whom has approved the voter register.Early on Saturday, Mr
Thowfeek had announced: “We will hold the election in accordance with
the guidelines issued by the Supreme Court.“The start of the voting may
be delayed in some places, but we will allow more time for people to
cast their ballots.ÓHowever, within hours police were at the electoral
commission and Mr Thowfeek was obliged to call the election off, saying
it was a “dark day for democracy”.“A new date for elections will be
informed later,” he said.International observers had all praised the
conduct of the first-round election, and the Supreme Court's decision to
annul it was condemned by Mr Nasheed's supporters.
Mr Nasheed came to power in 2008 in the Maldives’ first free
elections, but resigned amid violent protests and a mutiny by senior
police officers in February 2012.
|