Heritage highlights
by Sumana Saparamadu
Trincomalee is one of the most beautiful natural harbours in the
world. There are only four or five others comparable to Trincomalee,
among them Sydney harbour and Buenos Aires harbour in Argentina. Trinco
today is the fifth largest natural harbour.
The name comes from Trikona/likoona (triangle) and malai (hill or
rock in Tamil). The rock on the promontory is like a triangle or the
hill surrounding the place form a triangle.
The earlier name was Gokanna also known as Gonaka. The Greek
cartographer Psolemy marked the harbour as Bokana on his map. The
harbour was known to mariners from very ancient times. Badda Kachchana,
the Sakyan princess who was sent to Lanka to be the bride of king
Panduvasdeva landed at Gokanna according to recorded history. As a point
of interest there is a legend going further back.
Two merchant brothers Tapassu and Bhalluka, were the first to serve
some food to the Buddha soon after his Enlightenment. The Buddha gave
them some strands of hair, perhaps as a memento. the two brothers
carefully carried this memento, with them.
They were sea-faring merchants. When they dropped anchor at Gokanna,
they deposited some or all the strands of hair in a mound somewhere
north of Gokanna. The Girihandu Seya in Tiriyaya is said to be this
chetiya or shrine. The Shewedagon in Rangoon in Myanmar is said to
contain the hair-relics of the Buddha. Perhaps the brothers Tapassu and
Bhalluka deposited only some strands of hair in the chetiya at Tiriyaya
and took the rest with them to Myanmar.
Temple of a Thousand Pillars
There was in times, long past a magnificent temple dedicated to
Konath or Konasir on the cliff. 400 feet above the sea, at the Southern
extremity of the peninsula that separates the inner from the outer
harbour. British and other European writers of the 18th and 19th
centuries refer to this shrine as the "Temple of a Thousand Pillars."
What was its original name and who built it?
According to a Tamil legend, a Hindu Prince, having learned from the
Puranas that the rock now known as Swami Rock was a fragment of the holy
Mount Meru hurled into the present site during a conflict of the gods,
came over to Lanka and erected upon it a temple to Shiva.
Being one of the main harbours in which seafarers in the Bay of
Bengal dropped anchor, Trincomalee or Gokanna as this place was known
earlier, must have been, from very early times, a settlement of Indo
Aryan migrants.
Later the Pallavas and the Pandyan and Chola dynasties that ruled the
Deccan (dhakkina desha) must have been closely associated with the
up-keep of the Temple, lavishing wealth to maintain it in all its glory.
It is said that pilgrims from all over India came to the temple. One
writer has said that it was more frequented by pilgrims than Rameswaram
or the Jaganath Temple in Orissa.
The temple was razed to the ground by the Portuguese general
Constantine de Saa in 1622 and he built a fort there using the stones of
the demolished temple.
A temple has been built on Swami Rock (God's Rock) which is inside
Fort Fredrick. It is held in high veneration by the Hindus, and
frequented by Buddhist pilgrims too.
Lover's Leap
The touching story behind Lover's Leap is not a legend. It is a true
story attested by an inscription on a pillar on Swami Rock.
Francina van Reed was the daughter of a gentleman of rank in the
civil service of Holland. She was engaged to a young Dutch officer. He
broke off the engagement, and his period of foreign service over, he
embarked for Holland.
The forsaken girl watched the vessel from the promontory of Swami
Rock, and when the ship taking away the faithless man passed the
precipice she flung herself from the rock into the sea - a sheer drop of
400 feet.
A pillar set up on the promontory records the date of the tragedy -
1687 April 24. When Sir Emerson Tennent, Secretary of the Colony saw it
in the late 1840s or early 1850s, the inscription which recalled the
fate of Francina Van Reed was "nearly obliterated."
Fort Frederick
In the early period of their rule, the Portuguese were not in the
least interested in taking possession of Trincomalee; but after the
appearance of the Dutch on the east coast and their making an alliance
with the King of Kandy, Constantine de Saa became alarmed and took
control of the two ports on the east coast, Trincomalee and Batticaloa.
In 1622, he ruthlessly destroyed the Temple of a Thousand Pillars and
used its stones to build a fort on the site it stood. Some fragments of
carved stone work and slabs bearing inscriptions were to be seen in the
walls of the Fort in the mid 19th century. (Facsimiles of three
inscriptions were published in the Journal of Asiatic Society Bengl Vol
5)
In 1960, 440 years after Constantine de Saa razed the temple to the
ground, workers of the Trincomalee UC digging a well for public use,
found three statues all turned upside down.
Constantine de Saa built the Fort in 1624 and it was successively
held by the Dutch French until it was taken over by the British in 1795.
The British named the Fort, FORT FREDRICK after the then Commander in
Chief the Duke of York.
Spotted Deer
The spotted deer that roam within the Fort is one of the charming
sights in Trincomalee. The herd had grown from a pair brought as pets in
the early years of British rule.
A few years back it was reported that the deer were dying. Feeding on
the food thrown away by pilgrims the deer had consumed polythene sheets
as well. The vets of the Wild Life Department had to perform operations
to relieve the deer of their indisposition.
Hot springs
The hot springs of Kannya are about five miles north-west of
Trincomalee and about half a mile off the Anuradhapura Road.
As with most places of interest in and around Trincomalee these hot
springs also have their legend, which goes back to pre-Vijayan times,
when Ravana was Lord of Lanka. The legend as told to Bella Sydney Woolf,
Sister of Leonard Woolf and recorded in her 1914 publication "How to see
Ceylon," is as follows:
"Vishnu wished to prevent Ravana from setting forth on some
undertaking, and he appeared to Ravana as an old man bearing the false
news that Kannya (his mother) was dead.
Thereupon Ravana determined to put off his project and, perform the
rites for the dead, asked where he could find water for the ablutions.
Vishnu disappeared and the hot springs burst forth where he had stood.
Since then they have been called after Kannya." |