Cairn India bid for oil exploration successful
by L. S. A. Wedaarachchi
[email protected]
Cairn India Ltd., was the successful bidder for oil exploration in
the first block of Mannar Basin, said the Secretary, Ministry of
Petroleum and Petroleum Resources Development A. P. A. Gunasekera.
The Secretary said that the first meeting between the representatives
of Cairn India Ltd and the government was held last Monday.
The oil exploration permit will be issued after the agreement is
signed, he said.
When oil exploration work commences, it would mark the beginning of
oil exploration in Sri Lanka after a lapse of 25 years. Close to 18,000
Km of 2D seismic data was obtained and seven wells were drilled from
1967-1983. Although hydrocarbon shores were encountered in one of the
wells in Pesalai no commercial hydrocarbon accumulations were
discovered.
The Government last year called for international tenders for three
blocks in the Mannar basin.
Six bids were received from Cairn India Ltd., Niko Resources (Cyprus)
Ltd., and ONGO (Videsh) Ltd., for three blocks. The Cabinet of Ministers
decided to evaluate only the first block for Petroleum exploration on
the grounds that no sufficient bids were received for No. 2 and No. 3
blocks. |