Sunday Observer Online
  Ad Space Available Here  


Sunday, 12 May 2013





Marriage Proposals
Government Gazette

Trinity fight-back to beat Antonians 22/14

From what looked a certain defeat at one stage Trinity College put up a sterling performance to convert this into a win when they defeated their traditional rivals St. Anthony's College, Kandy by 22 points (1 goal, 3 tries) to 14 (1 try 3 penalties) in their schools Under-19 Division I Segment 'A' rugby tournament match played at Trinity College Rugby Stadium at Pallekele yesterday. AT half time it was the Antonian who were in command leading 11-0.

This was one match the Trinitians would remember for a long time and kept true to their Motto 'Respice Finem' meaning look to the end. They really just did that.

The Antonian capitalised on the mistakes of the Trinitians in the first half, but could not consolidate after the turn around.

If there was one player who was outstanding and who really turned around the game for the lions was their substitute scram half who was very quick and nippy and slung his passes well and neatly to clip wings of the Antonian Eagles who were leading 14-0 when he walked into field.

The game started on a quiet note with both teams making a valiant attempts to breach their opponents defence. While the Antonian's to some extent ran with the ball, the Trinitians opted to kick the ball wasting possession.

In the 17th minute a kick ahead was collected by a Trinity defender who fell on the ground and was penalised for not releasing the ball. Antonian fullback Sajith Hemantha put over the 35 metre penalty which was offered.

Five minutes later Trinity's line was spotted off side and Sajith Hemantha fired the 30 metre penalty to increase the Antonian tally to 6-0.

During the period of play which followed Lions lost at least two chances of scoring due to poor play and which one was a dropping the ball almost on the try line near the posts.

With a minute to go for the short break the Antonian forwards charged with gusto and No. 8 Pandula Angammana scored by the left corner flag. Hemantha failed to add the extra points. Antonians led 11-0.

Soon after resumption a Trinity defender was penalised for going over the ruck and Hemantha added the extra points for the Antonians to extend their lead to 14-0.

From this point the game fluctuated towards the Lions was as they went for the kill and amassed 22 points in 20 minutes while a stupefied crowd watched in in amazement at what was going on in the middle.

In the 15th minute Trinity forwards charged and the Antonians defence with prop Anuradha Karunatillake scoring far right stand off Tharinda Ratwatte failed to add extra points. Trinity 14-5.

Five minutes later Tharinda Ratwatte on receiving a pass from Nuga Ridimaliyada scored under the posts and added the extra points himself. Trinity 12-14.

The Antonian now looked tired and jaded conceded the game through some power play by the Lions.

Towards the end they scored twice through winger Luckwin Gunasekara and centre Dureka Aluwihare to wrap up the game 22-14.

D. Nimal refereed.



LANKAPUVATH - National News Agency of Sri Lanka
Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL)
Donate Now |

| News | Editorial | Finance | Features | Political | Security | Sports | Spectrum | Montage | Impact | World | Obituaries | Junior | Youth |


Produced by Lake House Copyright 2013 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor