Sunday Observer Online


News Bar

News: Majority of abduction complaints fake ...           Political: SPC won't be privatised - Minister ...          Finanacial News: Empower oversight committees to deal with corruption, malpractices - COPE chairman  ...          Sports: Moody embarrassed by Aussie reaction to Murali ....

DateLine Sunday, 3 June 2007





Marriage Proposals
Government Gazette

Havelocks beat Army 20-10

Two Army players attempt to bring down a Havelocks player who is tightly clutching onto the ball in yesterday’s Caltex ‘A’ Division League Rugby Championship match at Havelock Park. Havelocks won 20-10. Pic : Kavindra Perera

RUGBY: Havelocks scored their second win in three outings when they scored a 20 points (1 goal, 2 tries, 1 penalty) to 10 (1 goal, 1 penalty) win over Army after being led 3-7 at half time in their Caltex 'A' Division League Rugby Championship game at Havelock Park yesterday.

Havelocks should have scored more than the three tries they achieved yesterday. They were guilty of aimlessly kicking away possession and the outsides ran across and were even guilty of "blind" passes. They looked dangerous when running the ball.

Army too were guilty of overdoing their kicking. They certainly would have felt the absence of two of their key players in T. A. Silva and third-row forward Karunaratne. Their right winger Saliya Handapangoda made two good runs, but was stalled. Once, off one such move in the 17th minute of the first session, their outsides were set in motion ending with Kapila Knowlton touching down and converting in himself. Earlier in the third minute, Knowlton, missed a 40-metre penalty.

The soldiers made a few attacking moves, but could not get past the Havies defence. Havies rescued the lead through a simple 15-metre penalty by Zakir Badurdeen in the 26th minute when lemons was taken with Army leading 7-3.

On resumption, Havelocks left winger Chanaka Fonseka scored far left, but Badurdeen missed the conversion, but they took the lead (8-7) in the 10th minute.

Four minutes later, they went further ahead when full-back Dilip Methruwan formed the overlap to score and with Badurdeen adding the extra points the Havies led 15-7. Knowlton then put over a 35-metre penalty for Army to reduce the lead (10-15) in the 19th minute, but in the 30th minute. Havies scored again through No. 8 Tyronne Harrison off a maul on the left flank, but Badurdeen, failed with the conversion (Havies 20-10).

It was disappointing to note that the momentum of the game was lost whenever the ball went over the spectator stand onto the BRC side. It took plenty of time to retrieve the ball, but it was much better in the second session.

Chief Inspector Nizam Jamaldeen refereed.

Today, there are two games with Old Zahirians playing CH & FC at Longden Place and Kandy Sports Club taking on Air Force at Nittawela.

[email protected] 



Gamin Gamata - Presidential Community & Welfare Service

| News | Editorial | Financial | Features | Political | Security | Spectrum | Impact | Sports | World | Magazine | Junior | Letters | Obituaries |


Produced by Lake House Copyright 2007 The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd.

Comments and suggestions to : Web Editor